Friday, September 17, 2010

Laundry Detergent

Within the past 2 months we've started making our own homemade laundry detergent. There are a lot of different receipes out there for both liquid versions and powdered versions. We decided to go with a powdered version because we didn't have a huge pot or bucket to make the liquid kind.
It has actually been awesome. I remember the 1st load of laundry we pulled out of the dryer. The clothes were so soft and they just smelled clean and fresh. Not perfumey.

It is very simple to do, only takes about 15 minutes because shredding the bar soap is the longest step. I've made 2 single batches before this one, and last night I decided to do a double batch to last us a bit longer.

I haven't counted how many loads it lasts us, but I know one batch lasts us 4 weeks. I will try to track the number of loads we do with this new double batch. That way I can do a price comparison.

Here is the recipe if you are interested.


  • 2 cups Fels-Naptha soap, finely grated (or any bar soap you prefer, we use Ivory)
  • 1 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (we were only able to find this at Fred Meyer)
  • 1 cup Borax
Mix Well and store in airtight plastic container.
Use 2 tablespoons per full load

No comments:

Post a Comment